Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Sunday Walk

I took my walk along Wahl Street that overlooks Lake Michigan at 11 am on Sunday morning. The weather was perfect, it was around 55 degrees and sunny as I took a 15 minute walk. Because of the weather there was plenty of activity along this stretch of nice weather. There are benches at the top of this hill that were filled with couples, young and old, having coffee or enjoying the scenery. The weather was chilly and I was cold sitting in the shade but when I kept walking I stayed warm. There were a few boats gliding across the calm water causing waves on the lake below. Many trees were still changing colors but some were completely bare. Geese were flying low to the water in flocks, heading north. In the shaded areas there was dew on the grass and the wet leaves. I smelled fresh, cold air and was surrounded by so many different sounds.

The leaves crunch underneath my feet on the pavement and I hear the sound of runners panting and their feet hitting the ground as they pass me. There are the quiet whispers of couples on benches that are drowned out as a plane flies overhead. Birds are chirping and cars drive by below on Lincoln Memorial Drive. There is the distant sound of geese honking as they fly over the lake and the rustling of the long, dry grasses. I had a conversation with a friendly, old man who was visiting from Florida and talked about the weather and old buildings he loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment