Monday, October 24, 2011

Metra Zion to Lake Bluff

I documented my journey on the Metra Friday, October 21 from Kenosha to Chicago. I chose to document what I saw between Zion, Waukegan, Great Lakes, and Lake Bluff because of the station sizes and diversity at the stop locations. I did research before my journey on what I would see in the area by focusing on Google maps. I could then analyze what/why different types of people entered the train at the stops by what they were holding, wearing, doing, and saying. Overall, I wrote down anything I saw or heard in the order it happened. It was difficult to write down everything I noticed. However, I found this is what makes each person’s journey on the train different even if they are sitting right next to one another. I found my final list to be very repetitive. Multiple “characters,” sounds, actions, and objects kept coming up in my story. I broke the list up into tempo/time regulators that acted as landmarks in my story, telling me where I was at that time. From there I added up all of the reoccurring themes I found and then did research on those that I thought were interesting.


Tempo/Time Regulators

(16) Train whistles

(4) “The next stop will be…”

(4) Doors close

(4) “Caution, the doors are about to close” (said over intercom)

(3) Train attendees run up between trains

(3) Train slows

(2) Train stops

(1) Doors open

(1) “Now approaching…”


Sounds

(11) baby-laughs, yells, cries, talks, coughs, sings

(7) train-squeeks, rumbles, jolts

(4) hole punch tickets

(4) metal clanking

(4) cough

(3) change

(2) people talking in background

(2) laughing

(2) crinkling newspaper

(2) breathing loud

(2) foot-tapping, stomping

(2) keys

(2) zipper

(1) stirring

(1) clapping

(1) wrapper

(1) phone

(1) soda top opens


Goods/products/brands

(7) phone

(3) ipods

(2) backpack

(2) gum

(2) glasses

(2) newspaper

(2) bud light

(2) hat

(1) lotion

(1) makeup

(1) Oprah-in newspaper

(1) CVS Pharmacy-grocery bag

(1) blue tooth ear piece

(1) jacket

(1) Lees jeans

(1) Rasmussen college-ad

(1) white teeth

(1) sunglasses

(1) soda can

(1) water treatment pland

(1) large pretzel

(1) wrapper


Numbers

7, 15, 28, 29


Also documented what people said.


Metra Health Concerns

  • the amount of diesel soot inside trains leaving downtown is up to 72 times higher than on the streets outside the stations,

  • lung- and heart-damaging pollution is being sucked into the stainless-steel train cars that carry more than a quarter of a million commuters every weekday.

  • Normal levels of diesel exhaust in Chicago and other U.S. cities range from 1 to 2 micrograms per cubic meter of air. By contrast, the Tribune found spikes of up to 72 micrograms per cubic meter on a Metra train from Union Station to Downers Grove, and somewhat lower levels on other outbound trains.

Oprah Winfrey
Harpo Studios, Inc.
1058 West Washington Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60607
USA

Last month it was announced that, after 25 years and nearly 5,000 episodes of broadcasting in more than 140 countries, the last episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show aired May 25. The price for a 30-second opportunity to pitch your products to what is sure to be an abundance of viewers on Winfrey’s final daytime talk show is currently set at $1 million.

Net Worth:$2.4 bil

Fortune:Self Made

Source:television

Age:56

Country Of Citizenship:United States

Residence:Chicago, Illinois

Education:Tennessee State U, Bachelor of Arts / Science

Marital Status:Single


Bud light: Best selling beer in the US and the #1 beer in the world

Anheuser Busch (producer of Bud light)

  • Anheuser-Busch is the leading American brewer, holding a 48.3% share of U.S. beer sales to retailers.
  • Since 1982, we and our wholesalers have committed more than $875 million in responsibility programs to prevent underage drinking and drunk driving.
  • committed to conserving water in our breweries and have reduced our water usage by 34 percent in the past 3 years, saving about 6.4 billion gallons.
  • We've invested $1.3 billion in Corporate Social Responsibility programs since 1982 to support alcohol responsibility, the environment and our communities.

May also research Rassmussen College, Apple, Waukegan Water Treatment Plant, Lee Jeans, CVS Pharmacy, and info related to babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment